Sunday, October 5, 2008

My house and other things


(pic 1) This is my house. I live in a small village called Ubuyama-mura (産山村) on the edge of the Aso caldera, which is one of the biggest active volcano calderas in the world. Ubuyama has a population of about 1700 people. No one speaks English and the closest convience store is a 30 minute drive away. Perfect for a weird artist like me. Actually I like it here, it's just going to get really, really cold because it's in the mountains and the houses aren't insulated or heated. Plus my shower is terrible and super touchy, with little more than a hair's turn of the faucet between ice cold and scalding. I've been through two uneventful typhoons so far. Actually the pic of my house was taken the day before the 1st typhoon. In my spare time I've been travelling, but mostly to fix stuff that has broken since I got here. I also study Japanese for about 2-3 hours every day. So far I've made very minimal quantites of art because the transition was harder than I thought it would be. Hopefully some new work will be started soon.

(pic 2) This is the view from the caldera's rim. Yes, there is a town inside the caldera.

(pic 3) They take biking pretty seriously in Japan.

No comments: