Friday, October 10, 2008

Best Two days at Work EVER!!!


I don't know what your idea of a good day at work is, but the two-day trip that I recently took to Nagasaki tops my list. A few teachers, Thai exchange students and my freakish foreigner body made a the long bus ride to Nagasaki for a fun-filled, all expenses paid (plus salary) trip. We first stopped at (i think) the most famous amusement park in Kyushu called "Greenland," (well, in Katakana it's グリーンランド "Guriinrando"). It was fun. Not as nice as some places I've been to in the states, but fun indeed. I had a sweet, sweet time... and I mean sweet, sweet, sweet... sweet.


This is by far the biggest Ferris Wheel I've ever ridden, and with a glass floor too! cool

Oura Tenshudo Church, National Treasure of Japan.






























Nagasaki is really, really pretty. It's crazy to think that a nuclear bomb exploded in the middle of the city killing hundreds of thousands of people less than 100 years ago.




























I made some stained glass, but I think the glasses I wore were sweeter than anything I could make on my own.



Next, it was a trip to the Nagasaki Peace Museum. Very depressing... and I felt very shameful being there seeing everything first-hand. Sure Imperial Japan and Axis countries were doing some pretty evil, evil things, but dropping a bomb is never a good thing. Plus, it seems like the Nagasaki bombing was more to show that America was powerful and that the $2 billion Manhattan Project was worthwhile. Crazy regardless of the motivations, it was still an insanely evil thing to do to people. Aweful aweful...


But, regardless of any shame I experienced I still had a great time and learned quite a lot from the trip. Perhaps the most valuable thing I learned is that when on an amusement park ride called the Super Viking in Japan with a bunch of screaming high school students, you have to take video!

1 comment:

erin said...

it really looks like you have an extremely sucky job.