Thursday, August 6, 2009

Passing the Kumamoto Driving Test


Here are some tips I have for anyone trying to pass the Kumamoto driving test. This may or may not be interesting to anyone else, but it shows just how ridiculous it is to get your license here in Japan.

I took the test with a manual transmission. The manual transmission isn't really the thing to worry about, as the details in the actual driving test are what is the main concern. Manual compounds the problem a bit if you aren't comfy with it, but i would focus on the driving. The clutch in the car is nicer than my own and very smooth. I ended up passing on my second try so it's not impossible, but many people take more than that.

JAPANESE SKILLS:
Obviously Japanese skills help, but as far as I can tell aren't completely necessary. They'll say stuff like "start, left here, right here, stop, go to the front cone, etc." Pretty basic. When they are explaining the test to you it's all in Japanese. He said to me stuff like "if you hit a curb it's okay, just reverse and turn again. Don't driver over a curb... you will fail." Stuff like that.

WALK THE COURSE:
You can walk the course between 12-1:00pm. It will help you get comfortable with your turns.


TIPS FOR THE TEST (from my own experience):
-you will be nervous... it's bad to be nervous... try to relax... impossible tip, I know
-before getting in the car, physically check the front and back of the car
-open the door and get in
-close the door most of the way, then check to see if the seatbelt is in the door
-shut the door
-lock the door
-adjust your seat and touch the mirrors to adjust
-check passenger seatbelts (and say that you're checking all of this stuff out loud as you want it to be obvious that you're checking it, or use big head turns)
-your seatbelt
-pull on the parking break to make sure it's in use
-pump the brake
-put the car in neutral (manual transmission)
-say you're starting the car and start it
-take off parking break
-check right, left and back (big head moves and maybe saying you're checking them)
-turn signal and say (ikimasu= i'm going), 1st gear and go


MEMORIZE: You should have memorized the course. walking it is also a good idea. You can do that from noon-1pm. Below is the routes of course 1 & 2. The day of the test you will be assigned a course number. You will have to memorize that course for the day. If you fail that day, you might have a different course next time.
FIRST PRACTICE LOOP: You will make a loop to the right to get used to the car and come right back. It's good to make sure you ask when you can turn, but anywhere is OK. when in doubt always communicate

- Return to starting point and pull up to the cones and close to the curb. don't ever hit a curb or go past the cones, but you must be close.
- Turn off the car. For manual transmission, put the car in reverse (maybe 1st is ok too) and set the brake.
- Start it again, same as before.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS:
- Making turns or changing lanes=very hard
- Go SLOW. not a race. on long straightaways I got into 3rd gear, then slow WAY down for the rest, as you'll have a lot to think about.

TO TURN OR CHANGE LANES:
- Always drive in the center or a little left in the lane.
- To turn or change lanes, first look back and say (yosh or OK).
- Put on your turn signal but DO NOT rush into the lane from there.
- Count to yourself 3 seconds as you drive forward.
- During these 3-5 seconds move to the side of the lane you are going to turn towards. hug the line, but don't go over it.
- Check over your shoulder again before making turn.
-turn

SUPER DUPER TIPS!!!

******
Put your signal on as EARLY as possible. If you are turning 1 block ahead, put your signal on 1/2 way there or earlier. At least 30 meters early. You will basically be driving every inch of the course with your signal on. It's ridiculous. Oh, and in the "S Curve" and "Crank" sections don't forget to signal early too.


************ The keys to being successful in the test are:
1) Signaling early enough.
2) Counting to 3 to yourself after your signal goes on, looking again and then turning (your focus should be in the front at all times).
3) Checking your mirrors constantly at intersections, cross walks and turns.
4) Not hitting the curbs. You can hit a curb, but DO NOT drive over it. Back up and try again. You can do that up to three times. If you drive over the curb you fail instantly.
5) I found it VERY IMPORTANT to drive in the center of the lane. This is important when making turns. During turns you must move to the side of the lane that you are turning into (in theory, to stop bikes from passing you during a turn). You will fail if you don't do this, so move all the way to the side of the lane without going over the lines or hitting a curb.

As for the stick shift... Just be smooth. On the "S" curve and the "Crank" you will be going very slow with the clutch half way in.
Also, on the straightaways when you get into second or third, take your foot off the clutch and rest it on the floor. Just relax.

It is a stressful thing, but not impossible. I failed the first time because I looked, signaled, looked and turned too fast. I learned to count to myself for 3 seconds after I put on my initial signal, then look again and turn. Also, I didn't signal early enough and moved too quickly to the side of the lane. I also missed a turn, but that didn't seem to matter as much as slowing down and being more deliberate with my turns and checking. Have a rhythm.

CRANK: Here are some pictures of the "Crank" section of the course. You must not hit the curb or those wall things. If you are using a manual, go through this with the clutch half in for slow speed.


FAILING THE TEST: The first day is the longest and requires a reservation with the center, as you have to fill out all the paperwork and take the written and eye tests. If you fail the test the first time (you probably will, but I know people who passed the first time), you will have to come back. There is no reservation, you just have to get there by 11am to sign up and pay the money for the "car rental."

CONCLUSION:
I found the test to be very fair. Difficult and stressful, but fair. I had read a lot online about the testers being prejudice against foreigners, but I simply don't think it's true. Maybe it is in some cases, but I didn't have anything like that happen to me. The officer was very nice and explained to me exactly what I needed to do next time in order to pass.
I rambled a lot, but if you do all of this stuff you will pass the test the first try. I know that it's an event that borderlines on traumatic, but just keep a positive attitude. You WILL get your license eventually!

If you know anyone else that's going to take it, send them this :)

The second time I went it was raining, but luckily it stopped before I drove.


And, alas, I was able to get my license and yet one more card with a retarded looking picture of myself on it.

cheers, and good luck!!!
Just try to relax. Everyone passes eventually (^o^)/
-Andrew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew,
I've got my license from Kumamoto in this June on my third test :) As you said, it's not impossible but not so possible to get at the first try too.
The instructor of my first 2 tests was changed and I got my license from a different instructor on my 3rd try. Maybe this is also an other tip :)
Anyway, it was fun. Even I tried 3 times, I got my license. I totally agree with your tips ;)
Tarik